Having a pet can provide many rewarding moments and even health benefits, but pet ownership costs could be very expensive. As such, it’s important to reduce the overall cost of pet care and treatment without lowering your pet’s quality of life. Save money by knowing how to care for your pet, keeping it healthy and happy as much as possible.
Keep Veterinary Costs Low
Pets can be faithful companions, providing endless joy to their owners. However, owning a pet might be cost-prohibitive considering the high costs of veterinary care. If you learn how to keep your pet healthy, you’ll be able to save money and give your pet a much happier life.
• Maintain care schedules. Check preventive care treatments such as vaccination, flee or parasite medication schedules at your local vet.
• Clean your pet’s dentures. For extra savings over professional care, brush your pet’s teeth yourself on a regular basis. Just make sure to buy the right toothpaste and brush at the local pet store.
• Buy quality food. Buy high quality pet food for considerable savings over health related costs caused by poor nutrition. Similar to us, if your pet eats nutritious meals, it should stay healthy longer.
• Follow a workout routine. Your pet should exercise regularly to keep in shape. Simply avoid having an overweight pet with the health-related issues it entails.
Get the Best Deals on Pet Medications
Most of your budget could be spent on pet medications, which can be extremely expensive. However, there are several ways to get pet medications without breaking the bank.
• Ask your veterinarian. Contact your local veterinarian for information on pet medication prices, generic versions, and overall treatment options. You may even ask your vet for prescription pet medication samples to test before paying the full price.
• Search for discounts or coupons on pet medications. Do some online search for discounts on medications that your pet may need like printable coupons or online codes. Just make sure to follow your vet’s advice on which medication to get.
• Shop around. After you have found printable coupons and other discounts, check for online pet pharmacies to lower costs. For added safety, check the FDA’s website for online pet pharmacies guidelines before ordering any pet medication via the Internet. In the end, it might be cheaper to buy pet meds from your vet based on the treatment needed.
Do the Grooming Yourself
Professional groomers can be expensive, even more so if your pet requires constant attention depending on the species. Consider doing all the grooming yourself to save the most.
• Buy the right shampoo. Any shampoo that you use should be specifically made for your pet’s species such as cat or dog shampoos.
• Brush your pet. Buy the right brush for your pet before brushing it depending on the hair’s length and texture.
• Use the right nail scissors. Cut your pet’s nails on a regular basis, if nails are an issue with your pet’s species.
• Cut your pet’s hair. Now, you only need the proper scissors to keep your pet’s hair at the desired length. Practice by trimming a bit of your pet’s hair first, cutting more as you gain experience.
As you can see, there are many ways to lower the costs of pet ownership. With some dedication and minor research, you can easily save hundreds of dollars per year on pet-related expenses. Just make sure to follow your veterinary suggestions for the adequate treatment based on the species you own.